Beginning Surface Play Workshop
Saturday 12/4 1-5pm
Want to decorate your pots beyond the usual dipping and splashing of glazes? Join Charmian Toh as she walks you through a colorful course to ignite your inspiration as you begin your surface decoration skills! This four hour workshop will be loaded with detailed step-by-step instruction that will focus on basic techniques such as sgraffito, mishima (inlay), wax resist and basic painting and stamping.
You’ll learn how to:
● Learn how to decipher which tool to use for patterns and incising lines
● Apply slip and underglaze, and use the sgraffito process to create fun, colorful patterns and designs
● Mix underglaze colors to create the perfect gradient
● Apply oxide washes to create the desired antiqued pattern effects
● Lay out a pattern on a round form
● Carefully choose colors that work well together
● How to use latex, shellac or wax resist to form patterns
● Add final touches to a finished form with sanding to create super smooth surfaces
This workshop is geared toward beginners through advanced-level artists (demo will not show throwing techniques). Participants must bring three simple, soft-leather-hard pieces and two biqued pieces prepared for the workshop. Pieces can be either wheel thrown or hand built.
You’ll also receive a link to the PDF resource document in your registration email that includes a list of Charmian's favorite tools and helpful information about supplies that may be needed if you decide to continue to play with these processes.