All Level Throwing - Saturday Mornings
Saturdays 10/2-11/20, 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM with Sara Young. Over the 8-week class, adults will learn techniques for throwing such forms as bowls, cups, vases, and others using the pottery wheel as a tool. All experience levels welcome, including no experience at all. Bring your own project ideas or follow along with a guided project led by Sara.
- 8-week class, 2.5 hours per class - total instruction time 20 hours, ages 16+. Class size limited to 8 people for Hand Building, 10 for Throwing. Dress for a mess and bring an old towel. Communal aprons are not available but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Beginners are welcome to use the studio tools to start with to ensure this is a hobby you want to commit to. At some point you will want to start investing in your own tools, which you can purchase at Burnish or at a number of online retailers. If you have tools already you are encouraged to bring them.
- Clay is sold separately; it is not included in the class fee. Bags of clay are $31 for 25lbs, which includes the cost for bisque and glaze firings, access to use the studio glazes and slips, and sales tax.
- Cash/Check Payment Discount: If you register for classes or purchase tools or clay in the studio with cash or a check you will receive a 3% discount at the register.
- All students are encouraged to use open studio time to practice and make work. Open studio is by appointment using our online scheduling system. You will receive a link to create an account on the Skedda website a few days before the class begins.
- Some open studio hours overlap with class times, which will be reflected on the schedule in Skedda. You are welcome to use the other parts of the studio during those times. For example, the wheels will be available to schedule while the Hand Building clas is happening on the other side of the space.
- Open studio hours are not the same as the Retail Hours listed online. Effective Tues 7/6 open studio hours will be:
- Sundays: Noon-6PM
- Mondays: 8AM-4PM
- Tuesdays: Noon-9PM
- Wednesdays: 8AM-9PM
- Thursdays: Noon-9PM
- Fridays: 10AM-6PM
- Saturdays: 10AM-6PM
- Refunds are not provided for missed classes. Students may make up a missed class by attending one day of another class during the same 8-week session.
- Store credit towards a future class or a partial refund will be provided if a student must withdraw from the class due to quarantining requirements.
- COVID-19 Preparedness:
- Wash your hands as soon as you arrive at the studio.
- Studio wheels and work tables are spaced to allow for social distancing. Try to maintain space away from other people in the studio as you travel through the space. Do not crowd around the sinks or the wedging table.
- Because the City of Bellingham has reached the threshold of over 70% of people age 16+ having initiated their vaccination, fully vaccinated individuals may unmask in the studio if they feel comfortable doing so. Unvaccinated people must continue to be masked.
- Proof of vaccination will not be required, we will depend on those who are unvaccinated respecting the guidelines and continuing to remain masked to help protect those in the studio who are at higher risk. Individuals may always choose to remain masked for any reason.
- If you are unvaccinated and cannot wear a mask for any reason then we are unable to welcome you inside the studio. We are happy to provide a listing of studios that have online classes and can help provide tools and resources for you to work with clay at home as well as provide contactless pick-up/drop off options for firing work in progress.
- If you are unvaccinated and you or anyone you have been in contact with has been exposed to COVID-19 please self-quarantine for 2 weeks.
Instructor Bio: Sara Young is a local artist whose work spans 4 decades. She has been teaching ceramics to both kids and adults since the late 90s, and loves to watch her students gain confidence through skill building in the arts. You can view her work at The Chipper Bird locally, and at www.spikeofalltrades.com