Wheel Class - Saturday Mornings
Saturdays 10/3-11/21, 10:30 AM - 1:00 PM with Shelly Stark. Over the 8-week class, adults will learn techniques for throwing such forms as bowls, cups, vases, and others using the pottery wheel as a tool. All experience levels welcome, including no experience at all. Bring your own project ideas or follow along with a guided project led by Shelly.
- 8-week class, 2.5 hours per class - total instruction time 20 hours, ages 18+. Class size limited to 6 people.
- COVID-19 Preparedness:
- Please take your temperature before each class. If your temperature is elevated please do not come to the studio. Wash your hands as soon as you arrive at the studio.
- Studio wheels and work tables are spaced 6 feet apart. Try to maintain a minimum of 6 feet away from other people in the studio as you travel through the space. Do not crowd around the sinks or the wedging table. .
- Masks covering both your nose and mouth are always required. Bandanas and face shields do not provide sufficient protection and are not accepted as substitutions.
- If you cannot wear a mask for any reason then we are unable to welcome you inside the studio. We are happy to provide a listing of studios that have online classes and can help provide tools and resources for you to work with clay at home as well as provide contactless pick-up/drop off options for firing work in progress.
- Part of your clean up process at the end of each work session will be to spray down your work area and any studio tools with one of the bottles of hydrogen peroxide that will be available.
- If you or anyone you have been in contact with has been exposed to COVID-19 please self-quarantine for 2 weeks.
- Dress for a mess and bring an old towel and a beginner’s set of pottery tools to the first class. Communal aprons are not available at this time but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Tool kits are available for purchase above or the 1st night of class for $21 (includes sales tax.) You are welcome to purchase tools elsewhere online or bring existing tools if you already have them.
- Clay is sold separately; it is not included in the class fee. Bags of clay are $31 for 25lbs, which includes the cost for bisque and glaze firings, access to use the studio glazes and slips, and sales tax. If you have clay left over from a previous class at Burnish you can wait to buy clay until you need it.
- Cash/Check Payment Discount: If you register for classes or purchase tools or clay in the studio with cash or a check you will receive a 3% discount at the register.
- All students are encouraged to use open studio time to practice and make work. Open studio is by appointment using our online scheduling system. You will receive a link to create an account on the Skedda website a few days before the class begins.
- Open studio hours are not the same as Retail Hours. The new open studio hours are:
- Tuesdays 8AM-9PM (morning hours available starting 9/29)
- Wednesdays 8AM-9PM (morning hours available starting 9/30)
- Thursdays Noon-9PM
- Fridays & Saturdays Noon-6PM
- Closed Sundays and Mondays
- Refunds are not provided for missed classes. Students may make up a missed class by attending one day of another class during the same 8-week session.
- Store credit towards a future class or a partial refund will be provided if a student must withdraw from the class due to quarantining requirements
Instructor Bio: Clay work has been my passion and companion for the better part of 35 years. As a true eclectic I have tried many techniques, taught all ages and learned from many teachers. The best part of my commitment to the craft is sharing it with others.